Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

ICONCLASS

I am curious to know if there is some plugin on the way to have iconclass as an information service.

Comments

• Not to our knowledge, and we have no plans at the moment to work on such a thing.
  • Iconclass is available as LOD (http://www.iconclass.org/help/lod) and there is also a fairly sophisticated retrieval browser plugin (Harvester of Iconclass Metadata, or HIM service) available. See: http://arkyves.org/help/iconclass
  • Thanks a lot!
  • edited August 2
    Has anybody got their hands on implementing an IconClass Information Service with a similar functionality like the wikipedia Information Service?
  • edited August 2
    I started working on an ICONLASS Infromation Service but since I’m really bad with PHP I did not manage to get it working. I started with the Wikipedia Information Service and kept everything. I changed caQueryExternalWebservice and va_results to resemble the JSON Output of ICONCLASS (which looks like this).

Wikimedia example JSON

And here is a simple python Script which I started to get to know the ICONCLASS API. It outputs exactly what I’d like Collective Access to save:

It would be much appreciated if anybody could help us getting this to work
  • edited October 10
    Well, maybe I could help.
    I do not know the CA application yet, but if you have some specific question I might be able to lend a hand.
    (I made the ICONCLASS web version)
  • Hi eposthumus! Thanks for checking in! We postponed the implementation of ICONCLASS which means that I did not look into it since August. We are nevertheless very interested in having ICONCLASS as a Information Service in CA. I will look into it and start asking you questions
  • I have made a JIRA issue for this. We'll try to get it done at some point soon.
  • thanks seth!
  • edited November 4
    I got it working the way we’d like it to work, but rudimentary only. There is no switch for languages and it only parses the first page of search results from Iconclass. Nevertheless it works so until it’s properly implememted people who’d like to use it right now may do so. Find it here: https://github.com/kbecker87/ca_iconclass
  • Hi @eposthumus, could you help me with the ICONCLASS API? Is it possible to define the language in which the API searches? It makes a difference weather I search for "soup" or the german equivalent "suppe". Using the english search word yields the best results now while on the ICONCLASS Website, after changing the language to german, the german keyword "suppe" does work quite as well. So I guess the API only searches in an english mode? Using "&language=de" in the API query does not work, so probably you could tell me which switch to use if there is one? Thanks!