Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

What would you like to see from CollectiveAccess 2.0?

We'd like to hear from users as we plan for CollectiveAccess 2.0. What would you like to see from the next major release? 

All ideas are welcome from features to new protocols to big picture wish lists.

Thanks in advance for weighing in!

Comments

• I would like to have plugins to store images somewhere other than the file system. I can't run it on a cloud service, since I can't upload to Amazon S3 or a similar service.
  • edited July 4
    Some off line functions to allow adding or updating items on a local machine without internet access and then syncing when internet access is available?
    Because of limited/nonexisting internet access I have to make notes on paper and enter later. This would save lots of time.

• OpenSeadragon as image viewer:

Thx!
  • I have to deal with a shared server.  There are a number of limitations that I have found partial workaround,but it would be nice to have the functionality built in.

- It is very easy to run up against too many mySQL requests per user, and timeouts.  It would be wonderful to be able to break up long operations to avoid this, such as reindexing, etc

-It would be really useful to be able to run all caUtils function from a browser - shared server often do not have shell access. I have always wondered why they cant be.

- Built-in backup/restore functions runnable from a browser.

• I would like it to be easier to run under https. I have to disable a lot of warnings due to scripts and images being loaded as http. I eventually gave up and went back to http in order to keep going.
  • That's something we can get into 1.7.4 or 1.7.5... it has been on the todo list forever.
  • Support for the following:

nginx
    php as a service  - certain batch processing would timeout when running php as a service
    php 7
    maraidb 10.x  listed as supported
  • Hi cisaksen ,

When you say PHP as a service, so you mean under Windows? Or PHP-fpm?

We already support PHP 7 and 7.1, so I'm not sure what else there is to do there.

Your suggestions that we explicitly support nginx and MariaDB 10.x are good and will be done sooner rather than later.

seth
    • the ability to do regex string replacements in batch editing.
    • the ability to search on the CA record cataloger, and the date created/modified of the CA record
    • command line or API media import (which I understand is in the to-do list)
    • an entity and list item merge feature

• What do the entity and list item merge features entail?
  • I like the way ArchivesSpace does it.   If you have John A. Smith and John Andrew Smith (who are the same person) to merge,  you go to the edit screen of the authoritative one, select a merge button which dropdowns a search for the non-authoritative name, you select it and then click merge.  Then all the records previously associated with the non-authoritative name now  have it replaced with the authoritative one.   You could also have a checkbox or something to create the non-authoritative name as an alternate name. 
  • That's already possible in the current version of CA.  The only thing we don't do, which perhaps we should, is the automated creation of the non-authoritative name. (At least in our experience you're usually consolidating typos, so you don't necessarily want to keep the you're removing as non-authoritative).

Try deleting an entity. You should see the merge controls as part of the delete confirmation screen.

seth
  • Very nice.  I just didn't think to look for it there and apparently haven't read the wiki close enough.
  • Ability to attach more than one media item per object from the media importer. (So we often have the main image, a detail, maybe the back, etc. It'd be cool if we could set up the media "type" to correspond somehow so it could do it. So item 2017.1.1.back it would know would be the back of 2017.1.1 and 2017.1.1.detail and so forth. It's a drag to have to upload those all individually.)